How can prayer help when I am trying to stop bad eating patterns?
- Pray at the start of the day for the fruit of the Spirit of self-control. Ask God to take control of my mouth. I read about what comes out of my mouth (out of the heart the mouth speaks) so I should pray about what goes in my mouth because I have a problem in that area.
- Pray before starting to eat a meal so the Lord can help me be sensitive to how much to put on my plate and for help to stop before getting into the too much zone.
- Pray about what to eat. Remember to take into consideration any medical reasons for avoiding certain foods. Ask the Lord “what does my body need today”?
- Pray about my plate. Look at what is on my plate and pray about it. Is this too much Lord? Is it not enough Lord? Is it just right? God will help me to know that I am eating in a way that brings honour to Him.
- When temptations hit (and they will!), that is when prayer attacks my temptation – killing the desire to overeat and binge and giving me the desire to be obedient.
- Combine my prayers with my Bible Verses – these are powerful weapons that I have from God to help me win the victory over overeating.
- And very important: remember to praise and thank the Lord when the victory comes.
Verses that remind me to pray
But when you pray, go into your room and shut the door and pray to your Father who is in secret. And your Father who sees in secret will reward you. Matthew 6:6 ESV
Pray without ceasing. 1 Thess 5:17 ESV
Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. Phil 4:6 ESV
And I tell you, ask, and it will be given to you; seek, and you will find; knock, and it will be opened to you. Luke 11:9 ESV
Watch and pray that you may not enter into temptation. The spirit indeed is willing, but the flesh is weak. Matthew 26:41 ESV
When the righteous cry for help, the Lord hears and delivers them out of all their troubles. Psalm 34:17 ESV
Let us then with confidence draw near to the throne of grace, that we may receive mercy and find grace to help in time of need. Hebrews 4:16 ESV
When I pray I open myself up to the Holy Spirit for help and power. When I pray God hears. When I pray I show that I can’t do this without Him and my reliance is in Him. Our Father longs for us to come. He longs for us to take all our cares and woes to Him.
Am I praying about my cravings every day?