for a person is a slave to whatever conquers him 2 Peter 2:19b ISV
I have been set free in Jesus. But why does Peter say we are slaves to things that control us? Why are we not walking in freedom in every area of our lives?
Other translations of 2 Peter 2:19b are:
- People are slaves of whatever controls them. CEV
- For whatever overcomes a person, to that he is enslaved. ESV
- For by whatever anyone is defeated and overcome, to that [person, thing, philosophy, or concept] he is continually enslaved. AMP
- For people are slaves to whatever has mastered them. NIV
- For whatever a person succumbs to, to that he is enslaved. NET
- People are enslaved to whatever defeats them. HCSB
Was I willing to admit that I was a slave to food? I knew I was but I wasn’t doing anything about it. I just let it keep me bound month after month, year after year for many many years.
How can I be set free?
Every time I want to overeat I have a choice. It’s like standing at a fork in the road. I have 2 paths to choose from. One leads to momentary pleasure and then future regret. The other leads to self-control and future peace. It’s a battle. It’s hard to take the right path, but if I do, there is joy, and peace at its end, as well as results.